Your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) is your unique 10 digit code that identifies you to HMRC.

Who needs one?

Any individual or entity which needs to file a tax return will need a Unique Taxpayer Reference, also known as a UTR. You will receive one when you register for self assessment or when you register a limited company.

How do I find my UTR?

HMRC will write to you with your Unique Taxpayer Reference but it will also be on any correspondence from HMRC on the top right hand side next to your address.

If you cannot find one of these letters you can also find your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) online by logging in to

If you don’t have your login details you can contact HMRC by other means. The contact details can be found here.

If you are a limited company you can ask for your UTR online and you will be sent a copy in the post. You will need to have your company registration number and registered address to hand as you will need this information.

If you need any further help or advice then call us or drop us a message